Skip Navigation
search: People Opens New Window | Departments Opens New Window | Penn State Opens New Window | Web Opens New Window
Penn State mark
Penn State mark
University Bulletin
Undergraduate Degree Programs

Leave of Absence

A student who is a candidate for an associate or baccalaureate degree may typically apply for a leave of absence for a period not to exceed one year. Under special circumstances, a leave of absence may be approved for a maximum of two years. A student who fulfills the conditions of an approved leave of absence may register upon return without applying for re-enrollment. Once submitted, the leave-time periods are not permitted to be altered. A student is permitted to advance register for the semester in which he or she is returning. An application for leave of absence and additional information can be obtained from the student's college of enrollment and is processed at the college dean's office. The form is also available at (Opens New Window) on the Web.

A student who wants to interrupt study at the University to study at another institution during a semester other than the summer may request a leave of absence for this purpose. It is not necessary to obtain a leave of absence if the period of study at another institution will be limited to the summer and the student returns for the fall semester. A student planning to study elsewhere should consult with his or her academic adviser to determine the applicability of such work to the program of study. In addition, the student should contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office to determine if transfer credit is possible. The student should be cognizant of the University regulations on residence requirements and of any special requirements of the particular major. When courses are completed at another institution and an evaluation for possible transfer credit is desired, an official transcript must be submitted directly to the Undergraduate Admissions Office by the registrar of the other institution. An evaluation fee of $10 is required.


Look up course abbreviations

Course descriptions are stored in LionPATH, the University-wide student information system. Please visit the LionPATH Course Catalog to access current course descriptions. At that point, you will be leaving the University Bulletin website.

Skip Popular Searches
  1. Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
  2. General Education: United States Cultures and International Cultures
  3. Course Index
  4. Graduate Degree Programs Bulletin
  5. General Education: Arts
  6. General Education: Humanities
  7. General Education: Health and Physical Activity
  8. General Education: Natural Sciences
  9. General Education: Social and Behavioral Sciences
  10. General Education: Writing/Speaking